Book Review: Red She-Hulk: Hell Hath No Fury by Jeff Parker

Friday 27 June 2014

Red She-Hulk: Hell Hath No Fury
Jeff Parker and Carlo Pagulayan
Genre(s): Graphic Novels, Comics, Superheroes
Published: April 16th 2013
Pages: 120
Rating: 2.5 stars

The world's strongest female, Red She-Hulk, has a new mission - and she's dead set on a path of destruction! Her enemies? Every super-powered being in the Marvel Universe! Captain America has no choice but to hunt her down...but will the newly redesigned X-51 need to use lethal force against her? And even if he has to make that tough call...will it even be enough to take a fighting mad Red She-Hulk down!? A smashing new direction begins here!

I've never read a Hulk comic before. I've only recently watched the Hulk film. I have no prior knowledge of any of the Hulks or how they came to be, and honestly, I have no interest in finding out.

I am, however, interested in Marvel NOW! and so when I saw the first volume of Red She-Hulk I thought it would at least be worth a shot. Maybe I'd enjoy it and start understanding the many Hulks - and Marvel comics in general. 

Unfortunately, that was not the case. There was little back story about Red She-Hulk in Hell Hath No Fury which meant I didn't have a clue about how Betty came to be Red She-Hulk, or why she was on a mission to destroy the Echelon project. The other characters (mainly the Avengers) also had little explanation, and as a new comic reader, I was very confused. I know who Thor and Iron Man are, but Captain America and Captain Marvel and Machine Man I am basically clueless about. I know this volume follows Red She-Hulk, but a bit of clarification of the other characters would have been appreciated.

That being said, I did really enjoy the artwork, and found it to be very consistent, vibrant, and easy to follow. It certainly has peaked my interest in some of the other characters (albeit in a way that confused me first) so I'll probably pick up some of their story lines as well.

I might even continue with Red She-Hulk. Just not in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez