Unpopular Opinions Tag

Friday 24 July 2015



1. A popular book or series that you didn't like
Probably the most unpopular opinion to have in the world of YA fiction, but I did not like The Fault in Our Stars. I don't understand the hype around it and why everyone falls in love with it. The characters were pretentious carbon copies of every other character John Green has created, and I felt that it romantacised the situation.

2. A popular book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love
I don't think people necessarily hate it, but I'm going with Slated by Teri Terry for this. I've seen a lot of low star reviews for it and I honestly don't understand why. I loved it and thought it was a great dystopia (and I'm not a huge dystopia fan) that set a good pace for the series.

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did not want them to end up with or an OTP that you don't like
I'm not a fan of Guy and Tella in the Fire and Food series. I feel like she almost hero worships him and he kind of thinks she's a cute tag along. I felt like there was no need for romance in the series either, so yeah. Don't like that couple.

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for
Romance and science fiction, Neither genre really does it for me, so I tend to avoid them. Romance seems to be incredibly popular throughout YA, and science fiction overlaps heavily with post-apocalyptic and dystopia, but I'm not a fan. I can do without all the swooning and kissing, and I don't care for space-age technology.

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like
I can't stand Noah Shaw from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. He was not attractive or boyfriend material, he was rude and manipulative to Mara. He was controlling and forceful and it read as abuse to me. And the fact that Mara was written to accept everything he did and love him for it made me feel sick. Ugh, creep.

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into
Cassandra Clare. I did enjoy City of Bones and Clockwork Angel, but all of the other books by her that I've read have received lower and lower ratings from me. I've tried giving her a chance - I've read all of The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments - but no. I am not a fan.

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (e.g. lost princess, corrupt ruler, love triangle)
I don't know what it's called, but I've had enough of the conventionally or stereotypically attractive main character calling themselves plain or ugly or boring, or a nerd because they happen to like something that isn't 100% main stream. I cannot stand to read about a thin, blond girl who thinks she's odd because she has green eyes or thinks she's unattractive because she likes Star Wars. Like, no. 

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Neither series really appeals to me or screams 'read me now!'. Probably because I've heard Shatter Me is heavy on the romance, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone is huge and apparently confusing.

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie". What movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I did not get on with the book but my gosh, that film. I adore it. I think it captures everything about Wonderland that I imagined whilst reading, but failed to find in the book. It's whimsical and magical, yet dark and serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez