Colouring Books... For Grown Ups?!

Friday 4 March 2016


I'm not embarrassed to say that I own thirteen colouring books and have my eye on several more.


Colouring, for me, is a great way to alleviate anxiety. I use it as a way to focus on one thing, rather than every little thing, and to work out any tension or frustration. It has an almost hypnotic calming effect on me - nothing matters except which colour I want to use next.

It's also taught me that it doesn't matter if things aren't always perfect all the time. I've made mistakes. I've picked up a crayon thinking it's pink and have it turn out to be orange; I've given some cats neon green eyes, and some girls startlingly peach skin. And I've learnt that it doesn't matter. Being such a highly strung perfectionist with a tendency to cry out of anger when things don't go as planned, this has been a valuable lesson to me. Yes, colouring can be fun, but for me it's much more than that.

Mental health is something close to my heart, something I'm passionate about and want to speak about more on my blog. Finding the words to do so, however, is not an easy task. I' using this post as a way to shoehorn it into my online presence. I'm not ashamed of my Generalised Anxiety Disorder, or the fact that I take medication. I'm not scared to talk about it, I just find it incredibly difficult to put into words.

I doubt it'll ever go away so I need to learn to accept it for what it is: part of me. And if colouring  can help me do that, then I'll colour until I can colour no more.

6 comments:

  1. I love colouring! I really want the Harry Potter one, it looks so whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't keen on the Harry Potter one because I personally prefer colouring animals, patterns, and things without people in haha.

      Delete
  2. You go, girl! :)) I'd love to see more posts on mental health, and I'm sure you'll come up with some great posts *squishy hugs*

    That being said, coloring looks like so much fun! I'm really tempted to buy the Harry Potter one, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to coloring it- it's too awesome! :D

    Happy coloring, and blogging, Charlotte! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been meaning to make a post on my own experiences with anxiety but... I get anxiety about it >.<

      It can be super daunting starting a new book - or even just a new picture - because you're never quite sure what to do or how it'll turn out, but it's best just to go for it!

      Delete
  3. I totally understand what you mean! I love adult coloring books and coloring in mandalas! There is just something so relaxing! I can't wait to see your thoughts on Mental Health! You go girl because I'm sure they will turn out to be some amazing posts! This is already an amazing post! I loved reading it!
    Alicia! ❤ #lovebooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried colouring any mandalas; I stick mainly to animals. I hope my posts will turn out well! I need to push myself to write them because I'm still feeling nervous about publishing them. :(

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez