November Wrap Up/December TBR

Friday 1 December 2017

Did I actually finish any books in November? Believe it or not, yes.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
I have been itching to read this book for the past few months and November saw me finally pick it up. And hate it just a fraction less than A Court of Thorns and Roses. I don't really know what I expected - more action, definitely - but it didn't deliver for me. There were only a few characters that I liked, the plot was boring, the writing was mediocre, and the complete turn on Tamlin when he is exactly the same as Rhys was infuriating. The portrayal of Feyre's PTSD was, however, enough to save this from getting a lower rating.

After the Fire by Will Hill
Thankfully, I picked this absolute gem up next, and I already wish I could go back and read it for the first time again so I can savour everything that happened. If I was beginning to waver from my path of becoming a clinical or counselling psychologist I'm not any more. The way this book handles life in a cult and moving on from it is so sensitive eye-opening. Moonbeam is never belittled for believing Father John's messages, there's only attempts at trying to help her heal and her story is just so captivating an well written. Easily my favourite book of the year so far, and I doubt anything will top it.

The Life of a Stupid Man by Akutagawa Ryƫnosuke
And then I finished my reading month with... this. I'm still not entirely sure what to make of this, as I still don't get it. The first short story was interesting and very easy to follow, but after that things took a weird turn and it felt as if the author was writing for themselves and no one else. It's a shame, as if the autobiographical parts of this had made more sense I would have enjoyed the book as a whole.

As for December... I really have no idea what I want to read or what I'll actually get round to. Perhaps I'll get through the graphic novels I bought for my birthday. But then again, perhaps I won't. There is, however, a read-a-thon happening half way through the month that I'd like to take part in, so I'll think about a TBR for that. For now, though, I think I'll leave my monthly TBR at two graphic novels, as they'll surely be easy to get through alongside uni work. Right?

What did you read in November? What do you want to read in December?

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t read the ACOTAR series, and I don’t think I will. I keep hearing reviews just like yours.

    I read Kiss Me In New York during November and it was super sweet and cute. Just a YA romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wouldn't recommend the ACOTAR series either :/

      I've not heard of that but I'm glad you found it enjoyable!

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez